Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 174

Thread: My turn...A7 restore...

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Got a philosophical question. It would take a lot of effort and Bondo to square up all the corners on these bad boys. I could also put some effort into rounding up the corners so they don't look tattered. Is it considered poor form to have rounded corners?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    I haven't seen any Altec A7 show-n-shine gatherings. So I think you can do whatever you want!
    If you were to bondo them straight, I'd be worried that a slight bump would knock it right off after painted.
    Then you would have to bondo the bondo.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Looking good! It's a big project, I know. I've down two pair. You are going to need to brace and damp the back of the horn flairs for sure, for sure. Then brace the lower panels. As Jeff says, the stock versions vibrate badly.

  4. #34
    HB Super Moderator
    My turn...A7 restore...


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    How much effort would it be to pop the tops off, and replace with a new top ? If you can get the top piece of plywood off without damaging the sides that would be an option I would consider.It would save you a lot of time sanding bondo I think.Then you would have some new sweet edges. And would make bracing the flares much easier.

    Or if your good with a circular saw,cut the top off and install a new top that way.Then caulk the inside of the cabinet to make it airtight.
    Last edited by Altec Best; February 4th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    I wouldn't hunt you down if you used an 3/8" or 1/2" radius router on the outside edges. You can always fill them in later. Or you could add another layer of plywood (1/4 oak has a nice wood grain that would show through nicely under Gloss Black Lacquer") to the two sides, top, and bottom, and fill in the voids with JB weld or bondo, sand, and paint.

    Edit; those boxes are built with rabbit/dado corners. I don't think that they will ever come apart without wrecking everything.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  6. #36
    HB Super Moderator
    My turn...A7 restore...


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post

    Edit; those boxes are built with rabbit/dado corners. I don't think that they will ever come apart without wrecking everything.
    Well then adding another layer of ply would be the best and easiest bet.With nice straight corners.

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    How much effort would it be to pop the tops off, and replace with a new top ?
    Probably quite a bit. I beleive the horn flares are run in a groove cut in the top panel, if I recall correctly........... (sold mine, so I can't look to be sure).
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    I'd be a bit leery of rounding the coreners off, do a couple of reasons.

    -I'm not sure I'd like the look

    -I'd be a bit afraid I'd end up splintering the plywood with the router..... granted I'm not looking at your cabinets first hand.

    I'd think about several options......

    -sanding, painting, with little to no filler on the corrners...... in other words leave some of the evidence of age, where it has an advantage (the bondo can't chip out on the edges if it's not there)

    -thin layer of plywood. I think this would take some skill to pull off so that it wasn't obvious what was done. If it was obviois it would be like illfitting 1970's panneling in a "finished" basement.

    -maybe put hardwood on the edges corners only.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Well, along the top edge are square headed nails, a lot of them. I'm guessing not only would it be difficult to get the top off, it would make a router pretty unhappy to chew through them....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My turn...A7 restore...

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post
    Well, along the top edge are square headed nails, a lot of them. I'm guessing not only would it be difficult to get the top off, it would make a router pretty unhappy to chew through them....
    Yeah...... don't do that :-)

    I'm suprised the nails have sqaure heads. I know they can still be purchased, but they're typically for restorartion or floor work, I believe......... maybe someone used flooring nails? Now that I think about it, My (sold, actually) 110 may have square headed nails.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.